My creativity level runs on the high-octane end of the scale and that’s cool. I’m fine with having ideas and they’re fine with finding me. I get bombarded in the shower, smacked while driving, or (the redneck’s own personal fave) pounced on sometime between the hours of middle of the night and buttcrack of dawn.
I want to fix this.
I want to be productive when inspiration knocks so I need to identify the problem.
Meet the problem.
AKA: “We wad your undies and we love it”
The Outlaw Ideas
My undie-wadding ideas aren’t your ordinary, everyday, law-abiding ideas. These are the outlaws of inspiration.
There is no reasoning with them because that would take away the fun they have when tormenting me during the night.
Hey!…pssst! Guess what CeeLee? We’ve got a good one for you! Get up! Go on, this is gonna rock! You’re going to want to write this down. Because we all know how you forget stuff these days.
Then they leak just enough detail to intrigue me so I have to get up, those jerks.
The fun little added bonus of each undie-wadding creativity gem is that it comes with a self-destructing mechanism.
I know the chances of my remembering such a nocturnal inspiration visitation sans notes are roughly about as good as my chances on having our washer actually wash the clothes inside it instead of pretending it did.
Little hint? Slim to none.
The last time I tried playing the odds, it didn’t end well in either case. Allow me to demonstrate. Roll the footage.
Welcome to receiving and forgetting, how may I assist you?
- My creativity sends a telegram detailing the idea to my unsuspecting brain.
- My brain likes the idea, it loves the idea. Yeah, yeah CeeLee, let’s do this! But first thing in the morning, okay? You’ll totally remember it, you got this. Ha.
- Morning arrives. I’m coffee-d and ready to go. And just like the upper management of a nameless company known for making washers and dryers, notification to the contractors (my fingers) that a new work order has been received, is never made. For the 3rd time. In a row.
- My fingers are the innocents, they’re completely unaware. They’re hanging out at the water cooler, drumming on the keyboard, and arguing over what team will get last seed in March Madness.
- The caffeine jolts the realization that the idea of an idea is about to lost if something isn’t done fast.
- Notification is sent out via express delivery to the fingers, informing them of the snafu. Even if my fingers weren’t going to refuse on the grounds of the required 24 hour notification period that’s listed clearly within their contract, it wouldn’t make a bit of difference. It’s already too late.
- Boom. The idea has self destructed. The words won’t come out and I’m stuck. My brain screeches to a grinding halt faster than when Duck yells “Watch this!” (Loosely translated: I’m about to do something to give you white hair and day-long jitters-yay!)
I’m sorry, all creative idea lines are currently down, please try your request later
Nothing sucks worse than me spending an entire morning trying to remember the deets on the idea I had during the night, the one I didn’t jot down, but want to do a post on-today.
How do your creative processes work? I’d love to know!
Next Tuesday I’ll be posting some ideas (ha and ha) about ways to harness creativity and make it work better.
I figure that if it works for my ADHD creativity, it can work for anyone!
Have a great week everyone.